Indicative list of resources to promote better business in Scotland
General Support for Business – (not accreditations or quality marks)
- Find Business Support – find business support in Scotland
- Highlands and Islands Enterprise – Support
- Scottish Enterprise – Support and advice for businesses in Scotland
- South of Scotland Enterprise – Support
- Public Procurement Support
- Help for businesses looking to export – a Trading Nation
- Business Gateway
Fair Work and Equalities Initiatives
- Fair Work Tool – Fair Work Employer support tool
- Living Wage – employer accreditation to pay at least the real Living Wage
- Equally Safe at Work -employer accreditation to advance gender equality in the workplace and prevent violence against women and girls
- Close the Gap supports businesses to identify and address the root causes of their gender pay gaps
- Flexibility Works supports the adoption of flexible and new ways of working
- Fair Tax Mark – accreditation for business, cooperatives, councils, multinationals, TUC, social enterprises.
- Workplace Wellbeing Charter – employer accreditation
- Stonewall Scotland – employer tools for inclusive workplaces
- Think Business, Think Equality – gender equality self-assessment for SMEs
- Minority Ethnic Recruitment Toolkit – support for recruitment managers to improve diversity in their workforce
- Anti-Racist Employment Strategy – employer resources and case studies
- Equality and Human Rights Commission – advice on employing disabled people and making workplace adjustments
- Access to Work – support for disabled people to enter and stay in work
- Inclusion Scotland – support employers to address the disability employment gap
Net Zero, Environmental Initiatives
- The Carbon Trust – Route to Net Zero certification
- Net Zero Nation – Guidance and resources for business
- Green Certification Schemes for Tourism Businesses | VisitScotland.org
- Net Zero Accelerator Tool – business sustainability support (Scottish Enterprise)
- Business Energy Scotland · Make Your Business Greener
Responsible Business Initiatives
- Business In the Community provides organisations with support and information to help accelerate their responsible business journey.
- British Standard on purpose driven organisations PAS 808 | BSI (bsigroup.com)
- International Standard (ISO) on Social Responsibility Discovering ISO 26000
- Organisation for Responsible Businesses (ORB) – SME membership
- The Good Business Charter accreditation for organisations, includes a streamlined version for smaller businesses.
- Certified B Corporations (B Corps)
- Better Business Act – mission to change UK law so that every company in the UK aligns the interests of their shareholders with those of wider society and the environment. Their objective is to amend Section 172 of the Companies Act to ensure businesses are legally responsible for benefiting workers, customers, communities, and the environment while delivering profit.
- Responsible Business Alliance – industry coalition to support Corporate Social Responsibility in global supply chains.